I had a few friends over last week to make Valentine’s Day cards using my carft supplies. I brought out a few bins of fabrics scraps and manned the sewing machine for anybody who pinned their own fabric. One of my friends was sick and couldn’t come that night, so she came over a few days later and I got to make some more.
“This is so much fun!” she said, as she cut pieces of things and glued and pinned other things. “We should do this again! Really!” I agreed.
I made some more cards using fabric, this time scraps that were already pieced together. I don’t find these as soothing or appealing as the monochromatic stripey ones, which my mom has been collecting as I send them to her and recently put into a frame together. (“It’s like a little quilt!” she said. Yes, yes it is.) These are still nice, I definitely have a thing for bits of fabric. I haven’t found a way to take good pictures of them yet, I need better lighting and a pleasant background piece of gently rumpled maroon velvet or something. The slightly reflective new ice blue side table from Ikea makes them look like they’re suspended in a void, or maybe a misty tunnel with a light in the distance. Anybody else see that?
Here’s my first attempt at a new skirt pattern. For some reason I started with a slick purple watercolor floral fabric rather than an easier (cheaper) basic cotton. I screwed up the zipper and should add some kind of waistband or at least waist finishing, and I think it’s still wearable, perhaps for work as pictured. I had to make it smaller once I had sewed it, because apparently my measurements don’t actually correspond to the size on the pattern that it says they should. I also cut off six inches from the bottom for a better proportion. As you can see from the difference in length between the front and the back, I failed to account for the shapeliness of my hindquarters and will need to adjust the hem in the front to make it even. (Working on my posture could help too.) My rear has certainly become curvier since I started CrossFit coming up on a year ago, in a way I do not find entirely unpleasant.
I turned scraps from the fabric into a set of cards. I still have at least two yards of the material left, which I will turn into something awesome as I gain sewing skills. While the gentleman of the house says it’s granny fabric — “Face it, you like old lady things just like this big flowery material. Old lady, I say!” — I think it’s beautiful. (“Old ladies can be beautiful, and like beautiful things!”)
I spent several hours this afternoon making fabric scrap cards. My original inspiration was from Crazy Mom Quilts who was in turn inspired by a book I have since purchased. Something about the cards is so pleasing to me; this batch is mostly Halloweeny, and it’d be so easy to make them for any holiday or theme. I made some earlier this summer in mostly greens and blues, and I expect to keep making more of many varieties, especially when I’m procrastinating like I was today. I went into my sewing room with the thought to work for a couple hours on cleaning and organizing or cutting out fabric for the next baby quilt, so of course I made fabric scrap cards instead. I did want to make a few for a swap package I’m mailing off tomorrow, and I did pick up a few pieces of material from the floor to turn into cards, so while the net effect was still towards mess I did get to feel a little bit productive. And hey, it’s not even 8 pm, there’s still time.
Update: Ok, so now I have 6 more cards and the room isn’t any cleaner. It’s only 8:30, there’s still time…
Update 2: Added a picture of some of the Halloween cards.
Here are the cards I made after seeing the ones on Crazy Mom Quilts. The scraps are from a Mother’s Day quilt I made for my mom and a baby quilt for a friend. The pink floral is from a shirt my grandmother used to wear (she died in spring 2007, and I used pieces of her clothing in the quilts I made for my mom and aunt). The oranges are from a couple apron swaps last fall.
Update: To make them, I sew strips of fabric to a piece of paper then attached the paper to the front of a card with double-sided tape along the edges. I sewed right-sides-together then pressed open each addition, chain piecing four or five cards at a time so I didn’t have to constantly start and stop the machine. My scraps were various lengths, which I cut even to the paper after they were all added. I’ve seen others who sewed directly to the card and left the raw fabric edges visible, and versions with decorative stitching across the front.